Monday, August 24, 2009

BEST WEEKEND EVER ~

So, many of you know that I had some Oral Surgery a little bit ago, and many of you also know that I am STILL recovering from it! I feel OK, but not great! I just need to be able to relax and get my feet up for more than a few hours... so what did Matt do...


Well at first he was trying to convince me that this weekend was going to be a perfect one to go boating! I was QUITE annoyed because I had already previously told him (on numerous occasions throughout the week) that I just needed to rest this weekend. Yet he continued to "push the envelope" (what is the original meaning of this quote) and try to convince me that we needed to go. After I tried to nicely deny him, I had to RUDELY tell him NO! I was not going! Not only am I not feeling good, I don't think we need to be out there every time the day looks great! And I did not feel good about taking the kids out because we were not going to be able to get babysitters at the last moment, (our normal babysitters sister was getting married that day) not to mention my "mothers intuition" was telling me this was not a good idea.

After I thought I had gotten my point across, Matt comes to me wanting to take the kids to see their Grandparents in Stockton for the day. He offered to take both the kids, and I liked the idea. Then I quickly realized that the Grandparents in Stockton also have a boat, and I am sure they did not want to waste this perfect day, and told Matt it was not going to work and to quit being so pushy. Because at that point I was not thinking I would be able to let Landon go, and what rest would I really get if I had the baby?? I was worried because he does not take a bottle very well any longer, and I don't like having to pump all day. I said "Sometimes we don't get to do the things we want to do, and I don't think Mom and Dad want to go boating with both Grand kids." and Matt's reply was "Melissa, you need to learn to be more flexible... I thought you wanted to keep Landon, so we probably will be able to go boating." OHHHH... SO THIS IS THE GAME... OK... and this was my reply...

"Ok, I can be flexible... take both kids and have a GREAT weekend." I could tell by Matt's face that was not the "flexibility" he was looking for, but he asked for it, and he was not going to back off now. (we both have too much pride to back off from what we said we will do)

I then told him he better start packing if he was going to get off early in the morning, and left the room. I was SO proud of myself... I am going to let my baby go, and just deal with being alone. (this will be the first night away from mommy since Landon was born) Yes Matt was doing this to be able to possibly go out boating, but he was also partly doing this to get me the MUCH needed time away to relax. I secretly went to bed that night hoping he was not going to change his mind about going on the trip...

I wake up to Matt getting the kids stuff together and him asking me where things were. I roll out of bed and help him pack (the sooner the packing is done, the sooner they are gone right?) and he seams very excited for the day away. I remember making a comment to him that he better not push going on the boat because when he called his Mother earlier to tell her both kids were coming she said that they will not be able to go boating with both kids. Matt packed his wakeboard anyways, and when I again told him not to be pushy he said (and girls...get this one) "A Boy Scout is always prepared!" He cracks me up! He gets all the things they need, get the kids in the car, and drive away... as I waved good-bye to them I started to get a little sad, then I got into the house and realized I was FREEEEEEEE!!!!!

I cleaned the house in 2 hours... YES 2 hours!!! It usually takes me ALL DAY Friday to clean, but without kids I am able to get SO MUCH MORE DONE! He calls to let me know they made the drive OK, and I was glad because I was sitting there folding the last load of laundry and SO close to being DONE! Matt had called my girlfriends on his drive up to let them know I was a Free Woman, and left messages for them to give me a call. (now that was really sweet)

While I was cleaning my Girlfriend Julia calls me and says we need to do lunch. She is my friend from Wells Fargo. I trained her to take over my job when I went on Maternity Leave with Hailey and we hit it off SO well we are STILL friends to this day. I love her, she is my gossip friend and I always have fun when I am with her! She tells me Matt called her and she was worried because he said " I am taking the kids to my parents, Melissa is alone, call her if you can." After I calmed her down that nothing was wrong, and that Matt was just giving me a break, we make plans to do lunch. Another reason she is my best friend is that when we go to lunch we go to Red Robin! No one loves this place as much as we do! We used to go all the time when I was training her, and it soon became our ritual! Needless to say we had a GREAT gossip session! I hear all the drama about Wells Fargo, and she gets all my drama from the kids being at home and we both feel at peace! She is my friend I call when I need to talk, so we have great conversations! THANKS JULIA! ~ So after lunch I go shopping...

If you have kids that a rowdy like mine, you know how much NON FUN it is to take them shopping. (actually I guess if you have kids at all you know how not fun shopping with them can be) So yeah, I hit up my favorite stores in Riverpark, then I head home to rest and get a little snack. After resting I head back out to go shopping near home! I got some GREAT deals, and I got a little something for everyone! The best part was that I got to look at WHATEVER I wanted to without tantrums and having to leave the store because the kids were acting up! ~ OH this is like HEAVEN on earth! ~

I get home eat dinner, and give Matt a call to see how their day went. Not so good I guess for Matt. They were able to go wakeboarding because Matt's parents invited another couple to go out to help with the kids and that went well. They went out to eat at McDonald's for dinner, and got to visit and play at home. But, while wakeboarding, Matt hurt his knee pretty good. I guess he was feeling pretty comfortable, and was landing a few jumps so he decided to try something (i forget what it is called) and he left too early and did not get enough air or rotation, and fell REALLY bad on his knee. He said it was REALLY painful, and he was not having an easy time getting around on it. At this point I realized... maybe THIS is why I got the "mommy's intuition" that we do not need to go wakeboarding... I held my tongue and told him I hope it gets better and I will see them in the morning and to get the kids to bed and get himself some rest.

To make a VERY LONG story a little bit shorter, I'll cut to the chase...

They made it home, and we made it to church on time (almost) with Matt limping around pretty good all day... I guess he realized the same thing I did with the "mother's intuition" because on our drive home from church Matt tells me that while he was teaching the lesson in Elders Quorum, it was about Learning Lessons from our Past. He told them the story about this past weekend and how he hates when his wife is right and he is hurting...

So yeah, a good weekend had by all!

P.S.
Thanks Matt for the opportunity to get my rest, and time alone!! I hope your appointment with the Knee Dr. goes well today!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

What a HEAVENLY weekend you must have had!! I can't imagine what it would be like to go clothes shopping by myself now... to not have to rush through the dressing room or find one big enough to accomodate a stroller! : )

LOL... so glad you had a great time. I got to go grocery shopping by myself this morning and I thought that was wonderful!

SuzQuez said...

It so serves him right.

After having preschoolers for 22 years straight you can see why I am so excited the first day of school when I'm home alone again! People say, "Are you going to work now?" NO WAY, I'VE EARNED THIS REST!

Brad and Dalan give their wives Saturday's off to go do whatever they want. Wouldn't that be heaven!