Monday, September 19, 2011

Interesting...

I noticed this last week that IN FACT we are the ONLY family on the block that does our own yard work...
We have had two young families move onto the block in the last year ~
(YEAH WE HAVE BEEN HERE A YEAR) 
and both have OTHER people come and do their yard work.
I am not sure what I truly think about this...
I find it a little disturbing because as a kid, we worked together as a family on the yard. I learned how to work early on, and then had mowing the lawn as a chore I was responsible for. I think this was one of the many things my parents taught me to help form me into a better person. Which leads me to think the kids on this block are never going to get the good feeling I did in working to make our house a home...
I also find it a little liberating for those that take advantage of having someone else do it. I know how busy life can get, and paying someone else to do the yard work is just one less thing they have on their plate. Honestly, I don't think we would pay anyone else to do our yard work even if we had the money because I am SO old school that it is our job... PLUS let's be honest I am CHEAP!!
I am a little sad because my kids won't be able to make money like I did as a kid walking door to door and offering to mow the lawn... My older sister, Myself and a friend were mowing machines!! haha!
I am in NO way judging the people on my block. I am friends with most of them, it's just that I now realized Matt and I are behind the times doing our own yard work... not that I think it will change...
 How does it work in your neighborhood, and what are your thoughts??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let Matt know that I will never let him live it down if I find out that he is paying someone to do his yard work. (Unless it is a scout or sports fundraiser)Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Brian does our yardwork and doesn't mind it so even IF we had extra $ he would probably rather spend it on something else. Most of the people around here do their own lawns but there is a boy in our ward that makes some $ mowing lawns in our neighborhood. I never really mowed the lawn, it was normally someone elses job but I do remeber raking leaves. The trees in our area arn't really big enough to have to rake leaves yet though but I can find plenty of indoor chores for the kids to do;)