Friday, August 27, 2010

Ikea Dresser Drawers

We got these Dressers from Ikea like 5 years ago. They did the job they were originally purchased for, but after about three years they started to fall apart.
(I guess that is what you get when you buy particle board and not REAL wood...) Don't get me wrong from the outside they look fine. It is what happens when you try to OPEN them that is the REAL story...
DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNN.... (scream)
Let me set up the scene for you...
Every Friday I do Laundry. At some point in this whole "laundry life cycle" I have to put the clean folded clothes away. So I would proceed to open one of these drawers and then become BEYOND IRRITATED because I could not shut it again. The bottom of the drawer had fallen out of almost EVERY drawer and it was hitting the back of the dresser, or the clothes in the drawer beneath it; and therefore it would not shut. So every Friday on Laundry Day I would become infuriated yet again while putting away clean clothes. You would think it would be a relief that this was my last step in the "laundry life cycle" but NO, it was just another FRUSTRATING mess...
SO when I heard from my hubby that his work; iLoveToCreate.com had Wood Glue I decided to take my life back and FIX this annoying little problem of mine...
So I took THIS...

And I did THIS...
And NOW my life is complete... Not really, but I can open and close my dresser drawers without wanting to scream at them! (you laugh but I am not kidding... remember my earlier post about O.C.D.) Each Dresser took only one of these 4 oz. bottles. The glue came out SO easily too, all it took was a gentle squeeze. I did have a little accident when the glue came out where I did not want it, and it cleaned up with a little water and a paper towel no problem! The hardest part of the project was waiting for the glue to dry with clothes all over my room! It said to let it dry 24 hours. I started my project around noon, and let it dry overnight. After I checked the drawers in the morning, they were ready to be re-stuffed with our clothes...
YEAH! My husband has commented on how nice it is to have normal working dresser drawers... SCORE FOR ME! ~ If you are having the same issues at home... TRY THIS... you can thank me later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the hint. The drawers were driving me nuts!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG I feel your pain! I have the same dresser and I also want to scream when I need to open the drawers!!! I will try to put some glue on mine too. Thanks for the tip!